Sunday, 18 June 2017

Uist Diaries

There has been too much of a gap. Since the last post which I wrote when I just moved over, I've not written anything on here - that's a gap of 3 months, the longest time that this blog has been silent since I started it, several years ago.

And now I do not know how to sum up the past couple of months.

How can I explain how I've gotten used to the wind, and miss it if it's not there?


How to explain how walking on the beach revives me, enlivens me, and clears my head?

How there are aspects of the job which are very hard, but the good moments make it wonderful?


Hearing corncrakes for the first time, and surveying for them, and worrying that the silence is ominous.

Introducing people to the islands and showing them what it's all about.


The wheeling, plaintive cries of the peewit, the oystercatcher and the curlew.

The closeness of the wildlife, how everything seems to be rightthererightnow.


Having a heavenly house to come home to at the end of the day and meeting really great people.

Missing the sky when I go back to the mainland. Struggling with working long, difficult days, but knowing that this is what I want to do, and this is where I want to be.


 Experiencing really bad weather, and really good weather the following day.

Flying a kite for the first time when I was wee (read this: o by the by - e e cummings) and absolutely loving the use of the wind and feeling like I was in flight.


Heaven: this is heaven.

It's not easy being here, and being far from family and friends and the people I love, but if this is right, and this is where I want / need to be, then it will all work out. And those on the mainland know that they've got accommodation in the coolest place possible!

I want to write more regularly, and now that I have internet in my house (finally) you will probably be subjected to my musings a lot more regularly, enjoy, y'all!











No comments:

Post a Comment